Congratulations on your purchase of the LifeProof iPhone case. By following the instructions in this manual, we're sure you'll enjoy your LifeProof case for many years to come.
This manual is organized to get you up and running quickly and give you confidence to take your iPhone just about anywhere you go.
Keep this manual in a safe place. You'll want to review it each time you reassemble your case to ensure it is assembled correctly and maintains its watertight seal.
We'll describe the following topics with special instructions in each section:
- Package contents and introduction to the LifeProof case
- Conducting the Water Test
- Assembling the case
- Testing the case to ensure a watertight seal
- Installing your iPhone into the LifeProof case
- Using the case features
- Understanding the Four Proofs.
- Care and cleaning.
We are so glad you bought LifeProof
You can now have:
- Peace of mind
- Freedom to do what you want
- Stay connected wherever you go to the people you love
- LifeProof Case
- Front Cover
- Back Cover (with a pre-installed O-ring)
- Headphone Adapter
- Headphone Jack Cover Keeper with spare jack cover
- Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
The front cover has two openings on the top edge. The large opening allows access to the headphone jack and can be sealed with the headphone jack cover. The smaller opening channels sound to the sound-cancelling feature of the iPhone and are sealed with a waterproof membrane.
The front cover also has three openings on its bottom edge. The large central opening allows access to the charging dock connector and is sealed by the latch cover on the back cover. The two smaller openings on either side of the charging dock connector allow sound in and out of the case and are sealed with a waterproof membrane.
The front surface of the front cover also includes an opening for sound transmission and this opening is also covered by a waterproof membrane.
|Note||Visually check all outer and inner surfaces of the front cover for damage. Check all openings and make sure they are capable of being sealed by the headphone jack cover or the latch and that the membrane are fully intact and covering the openings.|
The back cover has a channel, which holds the O-ring, and a latch with an attached gasket. The back cover also includes two lens windows that are sealed by a plastic screen.
|Note||Visually inspect the back cover, the O-ring, the back latch and gasket, and the lens windows. The O-ring should fit snuggly within the channel and the gasket should be firmly affixed to the back latch cover.|
The headphone jack cover screws into the opening on the front cover and provides a watertight seal when you are not using Apple headphones.
The Headphone Jack cover must be screwed in tight to be waterproof.
Accepts Apple headphones.
The General Use headphone adapter screws in here to make it completely waterproof and dust-proof and works with any earphones.
The Headphone adapter screws into the opening on the front cover and allows you to use your favorite headphones or ear buds while maintaining the watertight seal. You can use Apple headphones with the case; however, they do not provide a watertight seal.
No expenses spared here real professional camera grade glass lens with double coated optics.
Must be kept clean inside and out for clear pictures. Don't stick your fingers here.
- Silence switch
- Volume buttons (+ and -)
- Power button
- Home button
This is what keeps your iPhone safe and dry so it is really important to keep this super clean and never allow dirt, crumbs, or fine hairs to cross it.
Never poke or touch these. Specially designed to allow sound to pass in and out of the case and allow air pressure to equalize while preventing water entering the case.
For enhanced sound quality the back of the case is used as a speaker / bass response and on the top of the case next, to the headphone jack cover, is the noise canceling microphone vent for best sound quality.
Seals the bottom when closed.
Never scrub or scratch the seal as you could damage its skin and ability to seal.
Squeeze the back of the charge port door.
The first and most important thing to do is to do a water test.
This is so you can see how the case goes together and make sure you are closing it right to be waterproof.
This also verifies that everything is working correctly and it gives you the confidence to trust it with your iPhone.
- Pick up the front of the case, holding it by the sides.
- Line up the back of the case with the front.
- Squeeze the top edges together with both hands: thumbs on top, fingers beneath, so that the pieces click into place.
- Work your way down both sides in small increments, squeezing the front and back of the case together with your forefingers and thumbs all the way to the bottom.
- Place the case face down on a smooth, hard surface such as a table-top. Firmly press around the entire perimeter of the case.
- Squeeze the front and back together near the charge port door. This area is easy to miss so check it carefully.
- Apply firm pressure in a rubbing motion around the inside rim of the back of the case to ensure that all internal latches are sealed.
The case should be entirely snapped closed all the way around the perimeter.
- Visually check the case to make sure the seam around the edges is fully closed with just a very fine evenly spaced gap between the front and back.
This is important to do every time before you put your case in water to make sure it has not come open a little from an impact or other stress to the case.
- Close the charge port door firmly until it snaps shut.
- Screw the headphone jack cover into the headphone opening so that it is tightly closed.
You are now ready to do the water test.
- Find a container large enough to submerge the case, such as your kitchen sink.
- Fill the sink with water at least half full.
- Place the case in the water and weigh it down with something handy, but not too heavy, such as a coffee mug full of water.
A few air bubbles may escape from the waterproof sound holes.
- Leave the case under water for 30 minutes.
- Take the weight off of the case and then remove the case from the water.
- Shake off the excess water and look into case through the front window.
There should be no visible water drops inside although some minor condensation might appear if there is a significant difference in temperature between the water and the room.
If it looks dry inside, the case has passed the test.
If there is excessive water inside the case, open the case (following the instructions in the next section), then reassemble the case carefully and try the test again. If you are still having trouble obtaining a watertight seal, contact LifeSupport at www.lifeproof.com for possible solutions.
You must open the case carefully according to these instructions.
- Open the charge port door.
You will notice a little slot to the left of the charge port opening to help you open it.
- Flip the case over so it is face down with the top of the phone facing toward you and the bottom facing away from you.
- Place a coin into the slot and carefully start separating the front and back.
- Slide your fingers into the bottom area of the case just inside where the charge port door opens and also pop open the other side of the latch opening.
- Starting from the bottom, pull the back of the case gently away from the front of the case.
Do not peel back the case and bend it as this will damage it but support it with hand and see-saw it from side to side.
|Warning||Do not peel the back open at a steep angle without using your hand to support the case and keep it straight. Do not peel it off like a banana peel; this will damage the case.|
- While applying gentle pressure to insert your fingers and palm deeper into the back of the case between the iPhone and the case back, keep the back of the case straight and slightly rock (rotate) your wrist back and forth while gently lifting the case back. The wrist rocking back and forth motion with release the latches on each side in succession.
- Ensure you start at the bottom and peel both sides off evenly leaving the top of the case until last. It helps to get your finger on the inside of the back to help support it so it does not bend the sides.
- The very last step is to peel the top away from the case at a diagonal gentle angle.
- Your iPhone must be absolutely totally clean before you put it in the case.
This is so you don't get ugly 'oily wet looking areas' on your touch screen.
- Keep out all dust and damaging particles.
- Make sure you have the clearest possible picture.
Insert your iPhone
Place your iPhone into the front cover, face down, and press firmly into front cover.
To close the case and complete installation, follow the steps in "Assemble the LifeProof Case" above.
- Check the watertight seal
- Check for fine hairs, dust, crumbs, and lint
- Remove debris
- Close the charge port door
- Screw in the headphone jack cover
- Press the home button to check your iPhone works
This is really pretty simple as everything works the same as your iPhone.
|IMPORTANT REMINDER||Before entering any potentially hazardous situation, make sure all important data is backed up as a precaution.|
All the same features work and are fully accessible:
- Silence switch
- Open the charge port latch cover.
- Plug in your Apple USB cable.
- When charging is complete remove the USB cable and snap the door firmly closed again.
- Clip the door firmly closed again.
Many third party USB cables are too fat to fit in into your LifeProof charge port door. We recommend only using the Apple USB cable, or you can purchase more USB cables from the LifeProof website to use with your car charger or other computer components.
Also, if you want to use it with a speaker-dock, you can use a dock extender (available from www.lifeproof.com) so that it fits the dock.
The headphone jack cover screws in at the top of the case. This is really important as it keeps dust and water from getting inside. It needs to ALWAYS be screwed in when you are not using headphones.
Unscrew it when you are ready to use your headphones. Be careful not to lose it. There is a Keeper that you can clip onto your headphone cable, so simply press it onto the headphone cable as soon as you unscrew it. Don't worry too much, however as there is a spare jack cover included and you can also buy more from www.lifeproof.com if it gets lost.
You can plug in your Apple headphones directly into the headphone jack as most other headphone jacks are too fat to fit into the slim LifeProof case. We recommend always using either the General Use of the Swimming headphone adapters because they seal 100% of the water, dust, and other problems out of case.
Just push the headphone adapter in until it stops, then screw it firmly closed. Now you can plug any headphone into the jack at the top of the adapter.
To remove the headphone jack cover, simply unscrew it.
Remember to take the headphone jack cover out of the Keeper and screw it back in.
All buttons work the same as usual.
Easily switches between silent mode and ringer on.
Switches the opposite direction to the iPhone.
Use your finger or thumb pad, not your fingernail.
Works the same as usual.
Works the same as usual.
Press it firmly in the center to activate.
Touch sensitivity should be very similar to the naked iPhone screen.
The touch screen will not respond underwater. This is normal. If you want to record video you will need to start and stop it above water.
Everything works just like your iPhone.
The speaker actually enhances the bass and makes it sound better.
Play some music and you will feel the back of the case acting as a speaker.
Your earpiece works normally. Never poke or pierce the vent as this could render it not waterproof.
All microphones including the noise-canceling microphone have special waterproof vents that allow the sound to get in and out but keeps water out. It even works underwater so your underwater movies have sound.
LifeProof is designed to be used in all areas of your daily life so you can have confidence and freedom to stay connected wherever you are with whatever you're doing.
LifeProof was designed to be as thin, light, convenient, and beautiful as possible while still providing reliable protection. It is meant to provide reliable protection if cared for; however, it is not indestructible. If damaged it may no longer provide full protection against all the four Proofs. If you handle your LifeProof with respect and care, and maintain it well, it will deliver years of dependable service.
Do not subject the case to intentional impacts or abuse as this will cause excessive wear and tear and you might push your LifeProof beyond its ability to protect your iPhone. You might damage the LifeProof waterproof or dust-proof protective capabilities.
|VERY IMPORTANT||Before you expose the iPhone to water, dirt, snow, or shock, check the following before each outing:|
- The entire case is undamaged-no cracks, deep scratches, dents, or rips in the silence switch, boot, or touch screen. If either the front or back of the case is damaged you can order a replacement part from the LifeProof website at a reasonable cost.
- Make sure the case is tightly snapped closed all the way around. Check for any uneven cracks and press closed. It is possible for the case to open slightly after impacts.
- The headphone jack cover or headphone adapter cable is installed and tightly closed.
- The charge port door is closed.
LifeProof is designed to reliably seal your iPhone against water provided you carefully follow the instructions.
Never open the charge port door, case, or headphone port while in water as it will flood the case, causing damage to your phone.
You can use all features as normal above water.
Feel free to use the LifeProof case freely in the pool, ocean, hot tub, or in severe weather.
Do not exceed a depth of 6.6 feet (2 meters) underwater. While the case has been tested to substantially greater depths, it is sensible to allow for this margin of safety to avoid disappointment.
In underwater environments, the touch screen will not respond because of how the electronics work. You can use the touch screen above water to start and stop video recording or music playback if you like.
The video camera and microphones continue to function under water.
Wireless signals do not work well under water and may fade.
When you come to the surface, some water may be trapped on the outside of the camera lens. A quick shake of the phone should remove it instantly.
It is usual to see a small stream or bubbles escaping from the microphone or speaker vents when first submerged.
Clean your case liberally with clean fresh water to rinse off all salt, dirt, sand, or chlorine. Shake off excess water and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
LifeProof is designed to IP68 international standards which keeps out all minute dust particles.
It can be used in all kinds of dirty environments:
- Around food and drinks
- Children's playgrounds
Clean liberally with mild soap and fresh water to remove all dirt and mud. Shake off excess water, then dry off with a clean, soft cloth. See Care and Cleaning for more information.
- Do not expose to temperature extremes, and if you can, keep it in your pocket.
- Have the General Use headphone adapter installed if you are listening to music in sleet or snow.
- Wash off snow and ice and it's as good as new.
- Even though the case by itself can withstand temperatures from -40°C (-40°F) to 60°C (140F), Apple recommends that your iPhone should stay between 0°C (or 32°F) and 35°C (or 95°F).
Although LifeProof is designed and tested to military specifications, you should not intentionally drop your case or subject it to harsh treatment as you may get unlucky and accidentally exceed the ability of the LifeProof case to protect your phone.
Also, it is possible that shock damage to your iPhone is cumulative and an accrual of impacts that may cause failure down the road. Think of LifeProof as an airbag to help protect your iPhone when accidents happen. Treat it respectfully and with care and it will provide a long and reliable life.
If your iPhone screen makes contact with a hard object at velocity, the glass may become damaged.
After an impact or significant shock, inspect the LifeProof and ensure the entire case is undamaged - no cracks, deep scratches, dents, or rips in the silence switch boot or touch screen. If either the front or back of the case is damaged you can order a replacement part from the LifeProof website at www.lifeproof.com.
If your LifeProof case has experienced a very severe impact or if there are visible minor dents or scuffs we recommend performing a water test again without the iPhone to ensure all protective capabilities are intact.
Maintain regular backups of your iPhone data, especially before entering a situation with a high chance of theft or harsh environments. Every extreme situation carries a risk of unexpected extremes that may exceed your LifeProof case's ability to protect your iPhone.
- Avoid needless drops or impacts to your LifeProof case as damage to the case or iPhone is always a possibility.
- Perform a water test after each serious impact.
- Do not use abrasives, solvents, bleach, petroleum, or oxidizing agents on the case.
- Although the screen has a scratch resistant coating, avoid placing your LifeProof screen where it can be scratched or gouged.
- To ensure longevity and correct operation of your iPhone, do not exceed Apple's recommended operating temperature of 0°C or 32°F to 35°C or 95°F.
- For the case alone, do not expose the case to temperatures outside of -40°C (-40°F) and 60°C (140F).
- Avoid allowing people inexperienced in the operation of the case to use it in water. They may open a port or do something that could result in leakage. This especially applies to children with curious fingers.
- Do not use bleach, solvents, or abrasive polishes.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning pads or brushes as these could scratch the optical surfaces or case finish.
- Do not put the case into the dish washer due to the harsh chemicals and excessive heat.
- For minor cleaning, wipe with a warm, damp, soft cloth.
- For a more thorough clean, ensure all ports are closed and wash under fresh running water.
- Use a mild detergent as needed. Rinse thoroughly.
- Shake excess water off and dry gently with a clean, soft cloth.
- Use an eyeglass-safe microfiber cloth if further wiping is needed on the touch screen area.
- To clean the inside of the case, open the case and remove the iPhone.
- Use a mild detergent and soft cloth with warm fresh water to clean. Rinse well.
- Shake excess water off and dry gently with a clean, soft cloth.
- Use an eyeglass-safe microfiber cloth if further wiping is needed on the touch screen area inside.
- Ensure all parts of the case are clean and dry, and check that the O-ring is correctly seated in place and clean without any lint before following the reassembly instructions.
- To clean the O-ring, tap it out of the case, remove the O-ring, and wash it with detergent and warm fresh running water. Do not set it down on any surface. Shake to dry. Align the top corners first and press the remainder until the bottom. Never use silicone lubricants.
- When using underwater ensure the O-ring is regularly cleaned.
- If using in underwater situations we recommend using petroleum jelly on the O-ring and apply between 'tweeze fingers' (or three fingers put together) and reinsert O-ring.
- Warning: Do not use silicone grease.
- Inspect the O-ring channel to ensure it is clean as any lint, dirt, sand, or muck will cause the case to leak.
- To clean the camera lens, use rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol or methylated spirits on a cotton tip (Q-tip). Clean the inside and outside of the camera lens as needed.
- Use an eyeglass-safe microfiber cloth if minor wiping is needed. For more thorough cleaning follow the instructions to clean the case exterior.
Q: Will the inside of the case fog up?
A: Thermal resistance of the case is very low, resulting in excellent heat dissipation. In fact it transmits heat better than just about any gel or silicon standard case. Certainly much better than all other ruggedized cases.
Q: What temperatures can LifeProof operate in?
A: LifeProof has been tested to extreme temperatures, but it is recommended that your device adhere to the same operating temperature requirements that Apple has suggested: 32°F (0°C) to 95°F (35°C).
Q: What is the total depth LifeProof can be submerged underwater?
A: LifeProof has been tested to extreme depths, but LifeProof can operate indefinitely at a depth of 6.6 ft.
Q: What is the total height LifeProof can be dropped at?
A: We have tested to a height of 2 Meters (6.6 feet) onto smooth concrete with satisfactory performance, but we cannot guarantee that LifeProof will protect against all impacts.
Q: How can you still hear when the speakers are covered?
A: One of the many LifeProof patent innovations allows LifeProof to distribute sound around the device, making the whole device a resonator.
Q: Do you have to take your phone out to charge?
A: LifeProof allows you to conveniently charge your device by simply opening the charge port door.
Q: Will the charge port door wear over time?
A: The LifeProof charge port door will last 10,000 cycles. That is about 10 years if you open and close the charge port door three times a day.
Q: What is the size of the case?
A: Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16" (1.5mm) to the depth of your iPhone and weighs less than an ounce (28g).
Q: Will it fit in my docking station?
A: We suggest the LifeProof dock extender to accommodate a docking station.
Q: Is the iPhone 4 product compatible with Verizon?
A: The iPhone 4 LifeProof is compatible with both AT&T and Verizon carriers.
2.6" (W) x 5.08" (L) x 0.42" (D) inner, 0.52"(D) outter edge
(66mm (W) x 129mm (L) x 10.8mm (D), 13.3mm (D) outer edge)
|Case Weight||0.98 oz. (28g)|
|Operating Temperature iPhone||32°F (0°C) to 95°F (35°C)|
|Temperature range for LifeProof Case alone||-40°F (-40°C) to 140°F (+60°C)|
|Operational Depth||6.6 feet (2 meters) underwater maximum|
|Drop Height||6.6 feet (2 meters) maximum|
TreeFrog Developments, Inc. ("Company") warranty obligations for the Company product(s) you have just purchased ("Product") are limited to the terms set forth in this document as well those set forth in the Warranty section of the company website. Company warrants: (i) if the Guidelines for Appropriate Use (GAU) are followed the Product will perform substantially in accordance to the specifications furnished by Company; and further warrants: (ii) the Product against substantial defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period one (1) year from the date of original purchase ("Limited Warranty"). This limited warranty is non-transferable and covers only the original end purchaser. An original or copy of a sales receipt from the original sales retailer or Company website and On-line affirmation of the GAU is required for warranty validation and service. This limited warranty does not cover products purchased through non-authorized dealers and/or online auction websites. Non-authorized dealer receipts and/or online sales auction confirmations are NOT accepted for warranty verification. Warranty claims must be made directly to the Company.
Company's limited warranty applies only to the Product. The warranty does not apply to any non-Company product, even if packaged or sold with the Product. This warranty applies only to the normal use of the Product, normal wear and tear excepted, in accordance with written use instructions provided with the Product in writing and through hyperlink to the GPA instructions provided in the Warranty section of the company website. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, acts of God, or modification of the Product.
Your sole and exclusive remedy for a breach of this limited warranty, and Company's sole and entire liability is, at Company's option, to repair or replace the defective Product or refund the purchase price of the defective Product within thirty (30) calendar days. Repair or replacement (including parts and labor as well as reshipping costs) shall be made at Company's expense. Company reserves the right to send you a replacement product that is the same or of a similar style or a substitute equivalent that may not be of like kind (depending on availability). Replacement products will be furnished only on an exchange basis. Replacement products are warranted as above for the remainder of the original applicable Product warranty period.
The following guidelines must be followed so as to make the aforementioned warranty valid.
- Save original purchase receipt or packaging slip;
- Fill in and mail included warranty card;
- Watch instructional videos for appropriate use and pre-testing of product, and sign the electronic attestation thereby attesting that the instructional video has been viewed in its entirety;
- Follow the instructions set forth in the instructional video so as to pre-test the product and confirm the product's ability to proof against water prior to use of product by demarcating appropriate test box.
If you have followed the GAU and wish to make a claim under this warranty with respect to the Product, please e-mail email@example.com with the following information.
- Copy of original purchase receipt or packaging slip.
- Product SKU.
- Purchase date.
- Brief (300-450 characters) description of problem.
- A telephone number and e-mail address at which you can be reached during normal business hours.
All of the above information is required before a warranty claim will be accepted. Once Company validates your claim, we will issue you a RAM (Returned Merchandise Authorization) receipt number and shipping information from firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH ABOVE IN THIS LIMITED WARRANTY, THE PRODUCT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND THE COMPANY MAKES NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS AND EXCLUDES ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IF SUCH DISCLAIMER OF ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY IS NOT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF ANY SUCH IMPLIED WARRANTIES IS LIMITED TO THE DURATIONS SET FORTH IN THIS LIMITED WARRANTY. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY MAY LAST, SO SUCH LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
IN NO EVENT SHALL COMPANY ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOSS OF VALUE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED IN OR WITH THE PRODUCT, OR LOSS OF USE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED IN OR WITH THE PRODUCT, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. COMPANY HAS NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION TO CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DEVICES OR OTHER PERSONAL PROPERTY THAT ARE IN THE PRODUCTS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LAPTOPS, CELLULAR PHONES, OR OTHER HANDHELD DEVICES, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA CONTAINED IN THE FOREGOING DEVICES, ETC. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY DAMAGES THAT YOU MIGHT INCUR FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL DAMAGES REFERENCED HEREIN AND ALL DIRECT OR GENERAL DAMAGES IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE), THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF COMPANY AND ANY OF ITS DISTRIBUTORS AND/OR SUPPLIERS SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE PRODUCT. SOME STATES AND/OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.